Pages

09 August 2008

17th Century Marvels

Marvel: 1602
Neil Gaiman, Andy Kubert, Richard Isanove

I bought the eight-issue series years ago based on blind faith as I love Neil Gaiman to bits. I'm not that much aware of the Marvel universe though. Osmosis (not to mention tv and movies) helped in knowing about The Fantastic Four, Captain America, Daredevil, Hulk, Spiderman and X-Men. In college I read through a handful of X-Men comics mainly on Wolverine and then the Infinity Gauntlet compilation. It helped that back then I had housemates with a stash of comicbooks. Well, they helped me with a bit of Marvel knowhow but still, I was more familiar with the DC world.

So I revisited this series a couple of weeks ago. My friend Bryan correctly guessed that the photo I took of the gargoyle came from the series.

The story is set in 1602. Something strange is afoot. For one thing characters from the Marvel universe are there. What? Indeed. The Fantastic Four. A handful of X-Men. Dr. Strange. Nick Fury. Seriously, I don't know the last two guys. Hahaha. I was afraid I'd see Hob Gadling except that he's from the DC (Vertigo) universe. Hahaha.

Why are they in the 17th century? Well, there's this shimmering thing... Oh I guess I shouldn't be discussing that. After all, this is just an eight-issue series. Unless you count the spin-offs which I haven't read.

I had a grand time rereading the pages even if my Marvel knowledge is very limited. There's Matt Murdoch. There's Peter Parker, I mean Parquagh. Scott is still an ass. Somewhat. Hahaha! Of course if the heroes are there there must be villains!

Enjoyable read for someone like me who relish stories with anything superhero in it. But I think Marvel comicbook readers were more enthusiastic when the series was released almost five years ago. Still, it works for the pseudo-uninitiated Marvel reader like me.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read this one yet. I do mean not, because like you said, it's Neil Gaiman, but I also don't know much at all about the Marvel universe. It's good to know the story works nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nymeth! The story still works but Marvel-reading fans would enjoy it better because they know more about the characters and their interactions with each other. I just went along for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick Fury is the guy who showed up at the end of the Iron Man movie. Now why he is a white guy with an eye-patch in the comic book and Samuel L. Jackson in the movie takes a bit of explaining so I'll just tell it to you another time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He showed up in the Iron Man movie?

    Yeah I know he showed up in the Iron Man movie.

    What I mean by I don't know him is that I don't know his place in the Marvel universe or the things he can do. He might have appeared in the Infinity Gauntlet thing but I wasn't paying attention. Like I said, am not much a Marvel reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I get it. Okay, in the grand scheme that is the Marvel Universe, Nick Fury can be found at the immediate right and a bit at the back of Captain America. Hope that helps.;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails