Pages

10 August 2013

Angels and Their Wars

The last four books I've read dealt with angels. Stories of angels. I liked the first series better. The second one is okay enough, something I read to pass the time and forget about stuff like life and living it. Like I said, both are stories of angels, one way or another. And there are other striking similarities.

The first series is not yet done. I am referring to Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. The second one is Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments. I'm done with Taylor's first two books and waiting for the publication of the last one. I'm on the third book of Clare's series.

I did mention striking similarities. Both books have strong, young female leads with striking head of hair: Karou and Clary. They both have their histories/past lives somehow hidden from them. They both fall for "soldiers," so to speak - Akiva and Jace - both lovely specimens of the male species. Although at this point, Akiva wins it for me, considering he's a seraph. Ah, I digress. Both Karou and Clary hold the key to a war brewing amongst supernatural/demonic/angelic species. I think. They both have bestfriends who join them in the "war," one way or another. And, the lovers - Karou and Akiva, Clary and Jace - are both torn apart by histories/past lives hidden from them, or something to that effect. Oh, and both Karou and Clary draw, I mean, they are artists, aside from the fact that they both possess "powers."

But I'm drawn to Laini Taylor's series even if I'm not in the right frame of mind to discuss it right now.

I've never been to Prague. But a part of me wanted to fly while I was reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone. Taylor's words translated vividly in my mind. I can picture a blue-haired girl protected by a seraph from two other equally beautiful and frightening seraphims. The burned hand print at doors leading to other worlds. The chimaera. The Misbegotten. Eretz. Astrae. I'm rambling, right?

I don't normally read while commuting. I get dizzy when I'm in a moving vehicle and I attempt to read. All that was forgotten while I was reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I was pulled from the start - Karou with her drawing books, illustrations of chimaera who brought her up. The necessity of teeth in Brimstone's trade chilled me to the bone. And then the other important revelation - Karou's history - when it unfolded, while a part of me expected it (because both Karou and Akiva were drawn to each other), it still floored me nonetheless. I jumped to the next book after that and well, hated the idea that trilogies are ruining my reading plan when I realized the last part of the series will be published next year. What will I do in the meantime?

I know the answer to that question. Read some more. There are other books out there.

Why I read The Mortal Instruments? A friend gave me a copy and I wanted to read it before I watch the film version. This is my short take on the matter: the backdrop is intriguing: there's a race of Shadowhunters tasked to eliminate demons that roam our cities unseen. The blood of the angels run in every Shadowhunters veins. They have a treaty with the downworlders - the vampires, werewolves, whatever. They also have a treaty with the fey folk. They call us, normal people, mundane. But all these intriguing backdrop are just that: a backdrop, for the love story between Clary - who grew up in the mundane world - and Jace - a Shadowhunter with a communication skills of a brat. At least that's how I see it. I'm a few chapters into the third book and I'm still in that mindset. And most of the times I just skim the pages until I get to the fight parts. Hahaha. The reason I'm watching the film version is Aidan Turner. Enough said.

So, this is not a review. I just want to post.

3 comments:

  1. Oh I was so sad when I realized not all three of the Laini Taylor books had been released yet. I didn't love the second one as much as I did the first one, but I thought the ending was ballsy as hell. Cannot WAIT to see what happens in the third.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait for the third Laini Taylor book!! Hopefully spring will get here sooner rather than later.

    I also didn't ever find Jace particularly likeable. I liked The Mortal Instruments books well enough (the first three, at any rate), but I like The Infernal Devices, which also involves the Shadowhunters but set in Victorian London, a whole lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ballsy indeed, Jenny. Can't wait for the final installment.

    I stopped reading the third book in The Mortal Instruments, Nicki. While I'd like to know more about Valentine's devious plans, I don't feel like reading it yet. I've picked up two other books in the meantime.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails